Thursday, August 11, 2005

God's goodness

"I was eager for fame and wealth and marriage, but You only derided these ambitions. They caused me to suffer the most galling difficulties, but the less you allowed me to find pleasure in anything that was not Yourself, the greater I know, was Your goodness to me. Look into my heart, O Lord, for it was Your will that I should remember these things and confess them to you. I pray now that my soul may cling to You, for it was You who released it from the deadly snare in which it was so firmly caught. It was in a state of misery and you probed its wound to the quick, pricking it on to leave all else and turn to you to be healed, to turn to you who are above all things and without whom nothing could exist."

From Confessions, by Augustine. Book VI.
translation by R.S. Pine - Coffin.

I know, definitly NOT a "puritan" quote. But doubtless, Augustine and our puritan fathers shared the same God.

1 Comments:

At 8/29/2005 05:56:00 PM, Blogger pri said...

this is why i love Chip Bugnar :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home